Wednesday 26 June 2013

The Last Of Us

Strangely, when it comes to video games,  I tend to never watch trailers or read previews or see gameplay footage for them, in the run up to their release. I wait until the final review is out and, regardless of the score, if its something that looks like I could have fun playing, I'll get it. I steered clear of all media coverage regarding Naughty Dog's latest offering, The Last Of Us (LOUS). I couldn't even say if I knew it was a Naughty Dog game at the time. But, I just...steered clear of it all. I can't even say it was intentional or not. Maybe it was just ingrained in me that I was going to get this game regardless of hype and review?

Naughty Dog are the creators of the Crash Bandicoot series, the Jak and Daxter series and, most importantly, the Uncharted franchise. The Unchartered series is one of the most well regarded, critically acclaimed, universally loved and all round freakin' best games you will ever play. FACT. For these reasons, Naughty Dog have become, in my mind at least, the Pixar of the video gaming world. They can do no wrong (unlike Pixar...Ratatouille? Cars? Up (not for the first 10 minutes, mind you.)

Moving on, I pre-ordered my copy and, as luck would have it, got it in the post the day before it was 'officially released'. I whipped it into my Playstation so fast it'd have given you whiplash! I won't go into details in case you're one of the sad people out there who have yet to play it or, worse....don't have a Playstation. Suffice it to say, it's the most gut wrenching start to ANY game I've ever played and it just keeps going. They marketed the game as a character driven story, not an end of the world/society action adventure game. It's being compared to The Road (the below average film based on the well written but depressing as hell book by Cormac McCarthy. I've read and seen each one and didn't appreciate them.)

One friend of mine also finished it but has started to play it again straight away. I couldn't do that for two reasons. 1) I lent the copy to my brother 2) I very rarely play games a second time. The only game I can think of that I've played multiple times (I think 5 times) is Metal Gear Solid on the PS1. In my mind, I played Last Of Us, loved every minute of it the first time. A second go around would, obviously, still be immensely fun to play but....I don't know. It just wouldn't feel the same in some way.

Not a long 'review' then and probably a lot of pointless drivel.  But whatever, GO PLAY IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment